Saturday 16 January 2016

Australia 1927- Opening of Parliament House

Australia's first commemorative stamp was released on 9 May 1927 on the occasion of the opening of Parliament House in Canberra (in A.C.T Australian Capital Territory. The A.C.T is Australia's capital, not Sydney). A competition was held for the design and there were over 1,000 entries. The winning design was composed by Mr Ronald A. Harrison, an artist at the Note Printing Branch of the Commonwealth Bank of Australia. It depicts a seated female figure representing Australia. She is holding in her right hand a shield bearing the southern cross. In her left hand she is carrying a palm branch, which is extended as a greeting to the new parliament house, the building in the middle ground. This lovely stamp was engraved by J.A.C. Harrison (Waterloo & Sons Ltd).


***

 I always find it curious to look at those designs which didn't get chosen. Below are a couple of the unadopted designs for the Australia 1927 Opening of Parliament House commemorative stamp. The chair of the Speaker of the House (House of Representatives)...




This is another unadopted design. It has similarities with the chosen design, but it is in portrait format and it has the head of George V at the top. I don't mind this one...




All things considered I think the best choice was made. The Opening of Parliament House is a very stylish commemorative stamp début for Australia.

Until next time...

Stay Engraver  Crazy! 

2 comments:

  1. Howdy would you mind sharing which blog platform you're
    using? I'm going to start my own blog soon but I'm having a difficult time
    deciding between BlogEngine/Wordpress/B2evolution and
    Drupal. The reason I ask is because your design and style seems different then most blogs and I'm looking for something
    unique. P.S My apologies for getting off-topic but I
    had to ask!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Someone in my Facebook group shared this website with us so
    I came to look it over. I'm definitely loving the information. I'm book-marking and will be tweeting this to
    my followers! Exceptional blog and wonderful design and style.

    ReplyDelete